CHINA MISSION / NAMOC BEIJING CHINA 2008
不朽的使命——石棺 / MISSION ETERNITY SARCOPHAGUS
Beijing June 9 to July 3 2008
etoy oparates from Beijing during June 2008 by invitation of the National Museum of Art China (NAMOC). We share cultural value in China. Specific action to implement the propagation of the etoy.BRAND include:
- Sending four agents to China for the full duration of the show with the objective to maximize the interaction with local art consumers, officials, farmers, expatriates, lamas, children, chuppies, and internet entrepreneurs.
- Providing public access to Timothy Leary's digital and mortal remains inside the SARCOPHAGUS at the gates of NAMOC.
- Running workshops at local universities and art spaces.
- Networking with Chinese partners to access local markets during activities organized by Pro Helvetia and Presence Switzerland, as well as establishing new trading platforms for the etoy.CONTAINER logistics department.
- Design and co-produce new MISSION ETERNITY elements with local artists, see below. From day two in China, local designers and etoy.AGENTS started to work together.
First results materialize before and at the opening on June 9, 2008: To adapt MISSION ETERNITY to the Chinese market and build on a corporate tradition (etoy.FIZZLE), etoy trades intangible assets for a new currency: The etoy.AFTERLIFE-CERTIFICATE (below) is designed to light up the boundary between life and death: inspired by an old Chinese tradition of using fire to transfer assets to the dead (hell bank notes). etoy collaborated with young graphic design talent (Ruan Qianrui) to create the first note (beta version) equivalent to 1/1000 of an etoy.SHARE. With each certificate, a part of the etoy.BRAND goes up in smoke.
share with the living & burn for the dead
SYNTHETIC TIMES CREDITS
etoy.AGENTS IN BEIJING
etoy.ZAI: project coordination and governmental contacts
etoy.HAEFLIGER: investor relations and research (after life economies)
etoy.MONOROM: chief technical officer and local agent recruiting
etoy.SILVAN: sarcophagus enigneering
SPECIAL AGENT etoy.FRED aka 刘嘉 Liu Jia: translations and China business
LOCAL PARTNERS & PRODUCTION TEAM
颜峻 Yan Jun (translations und Chinese SARCOPHAGUS-VOICE)
Ruan Qianrui (graphic design etoy.AFTERLIFE-CERTIFICATE)
CURATOR AND NAMOC TEAM
SWISS PARTNERS AND FUNDING INSTITUTIONS
Swiss Arts Council Pro Helvetia, Zurich, Beijing and Shanghai
Embassy of Switzerland
Annette Schindler (plug.in)
Charlotte Matter (plug.in)
Angela Wettstein (Pro Helvetia)